Poster Presentation Guidelines
Poster Session Policies
- All accepted abstracts, including those selected for a podium presentation, are required to be presented as a poster.
- Posters are viewable for one day only.
- Posters are to be placed between 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM on the assigned day, on the assigned board. All first authors must be present at their poster between the hours of 2:30 PM and 3:45 PM on their assigned day.
- Any authors failing to
- display their poster throughout their assigned day, and/or
- be present during their assigned poster session
- Posters are to remain up until 3:45 PM and removed by 4:30 PM on the assigned day; posters not removed will be discarded.
- Videoing or photographing of posters without the permission of the author is forbidden. First authors are allowed to photograph their own posters.
Note: No scientific sessions are scheduled during the Poster Session times!
Poster Dimensions and Style Guidelines
The poster dimensions are 3’9″ high and 3’9″ wide. Prepare a 6″ high headline strip that runs the full width of the poster. Include the title, authors, and affiliations on the strip in letters not less than 1″ high. Post a large-typed copy of your abstract in the upper left-hand corner. Be sure to note these dimensions as you will not be permitted to extend into another presenter’s space. Click on thumbnail to see sample.
Poster Presentation Guidelines
Posters should be legible at a distance of five feet. The message should be clear and comprehensible without oral explanation. The following guidelines have been prepared to help improve the effectiveness of poster communication.
- Initial Sketch – Plan your poster early. Focus your attention on a few key points. Try various styles of data presentation to achieve clarity and simplicity. Does the use of color help? What needs to be expressed in words? Suggest headlines and text topics.
- Rough Layout – Enlarge your best initial sketch, keeping the dimensions in proportion to the final poster (see diagram). Ideally, the rough layout should be full size. A blackboard is a convenient place to work. Print the title and headlines. Indicate text by horizontal lines. Draw rough graphs and tables. This will give you a good idea of proportions and balance. Ask associates for comments. This is still an experimental stage.
- Text Layout – Avoid abbreviations, acronyms, and jargon. Use a consistent font throughout. It is recommended that authors use a 20 pt. font size; this makes the text legible from five feet away.
- Final Layout – The artwork is complete and the text and tables are typed, but not necessarily enlarged to full size. Now ask, is the message clear? Do the important points stand out? Is there a balance between words and illustrations? Is there spatial balance? Is the pathway through the poster clear?
- Balance – Figures and tables should cover slightly more than 50% of the poster area. If you have only a few illustrations, enlarge them. Do not omit text, but keep it brief. The poster should be comprehensible without oral explanation.
- Eye Movement – The movement (pathway) of the eye over the poster should be natural, down the columns or along the rows. Size attracts attention. Arrows, pointing hands, numbers, and letters can help clarify the sequence.
- Simplicity – Resist the temptation to overload the poster. More material may mean less communication.
- A limited supply of pushpins will be available on a first come-first served basis. Please bring additional supplies with you.
Discounted Poster Printing Services for AAI Attendees
PosterSmith is offering a 30% discount for wrinkle-resistant fabric posters with complimentary shipping and handling through April 10, 2020
To place an order and to get the discount, follow this link: https://postersmith.com/poster/sponsor/aai2020
After April 10, receive a $15 discount with the coupon code AAI2020.
Customer Service, PosterSmith.com
Printing Once in Honolulu
FedEx Office is offering standard 24 hr. or less turnaround time once you’re on-site. (They will always TRY to accommodate everyone’s deadlines) One edge has to be 41”. They can print 41”x48” posters @ $8 per sqft. (approx. $110).
Please submit orders to: printonline.fedex.com
1500 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814
Located .4 miles from the Honolulu Convention Center (approximately an 8 minute walk).
M-F, 7:30AM to 9PM
Sat, 8AM to 6PM
Sun, 12PM to 6PM